Skip to main content

A Day in the Life: Shopping

For those of you who have always wondered what our day-to-day life looks like here in Moscow, I'm happy to present a series entitled "A Day in the Life."  For the first installment, I'll show you what a big grocery store run looks like.  As I've learned, this approach to shopping is a bit counter-cultural as most Russians make a quick stop into a local store to pick up what's needed on a daily basis.  Day-to-day shopping and eating makes a lot of sense here, especially without a car, and I'll often pick up a few last minute items in this fashion on my way home from the metro.  Moscow is peppered with grocery stores, convenience stores, kiosks, and fruit/vege stands appropriate for this kind of life-style, but most of these places don't mind charging a little extra for the convenience.  When keeping a tight food budget, I try to stock up on staples and big price items (meat, cheese, milk, etc.) at our nearest warehouse-type-super-market (a mix between a Safeway and a Costco) called Ashan.  I try to make one of these big store runs once a month or once every two months.  It's about a 3-4 hour round trip (give or take traffic that day) and every time I get home, I wonder why I do this in the first place.  It's quite a work-out in every sphere of my life:  physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially, philosophically, grammatically, etc..  But Dan's beaming face always greets me upon return:  "Ashan Christmas," he calls it, as he eagerly unwraps bag after bag of provisions for the next month or two.  Perhaps if "Ashan Christmas" came as seldom as regular Christmas, I'd look forward to it with as much anticipation as Dan.   


I'm just headed out the door with my very non-Russian looking backpack.  Inside I have my wallet and two other large hand-bags to fill to capacity.  I make my way to the bus stop - if I've timed my food run well, the bus is just slightly quicker than the metro and takes me just a tad closer to my destination - more important on the return trip with 3 heavy bags.  


That's my ride, the number 72 trolleybus.  Corners like a dream and picks up speed as subtly as a hurricane.  A bus ticket is 28 rubles, just under $1.  I'm in luck, the bus isn't too crowded today.  Standing room only is fairly typical here - public transport being much more popular than in the States.


On one's way to the store, one can pick up fisherman's pick straight from the Moscow River.  Actually, seeing fish sold on the street is the true sign that winter has come to the city.  It was a bit pricey for me today, so I just walked on by.




Upon entering Ashan, the first thing one's obliged to do is seal any personal bags or belongings.  It's a theft prevention method reminiscent of those infomercials which allow you to make your own ziplock seal.  Good times.  Here's my newly wrapped backpack in my cart.





Finally entering the shopping arena, it's every man for himself.  Particularly approaching the winter holidays, Ashan can be a bit of a mad-house.  Typically here, you keep your cart close by.  You never know who may be shopping right out of your cart if left unattended at the end of an aisle.


What a nice surprise!  Peanut butter!  This is the first time I've seen Peanut butter at Ashan, good thing I had a camera on me!  (If you're curious, this small jar is 180 rubles, roughly $5.60.)



Whew!  After a long line at check-out, I'm finally bagged up and ready for the commute home.  This is roughly 50-60 lbs of food goods to haul home and will last a month or two.  Home again, home again, jiggity jig!  Hope you enjoyed your trip with me!  Let's do it again in a month!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Stay

It's been a while since we've had the opportunity to check in...  While in the midst of several conferences both on our old and new sides of the ocean, as well as settling in with a Russian family with whom we'll be living for the next 6 weeks, we've been quite busy!  We've enjoyed getting acquainted with our new family:  Slava (the Dad,) Sveta (the Mom,) and their kids Yan (11 year old boy,) and Dasha (9 year old girl.)  But we've certainly missed access to more consistent connection with many of you back home.  We are a bit unreachable at present, with no internet access at home, but hope to check in weekly with short updates about our adventures and misadventures settling in. First, I thought you might like to see our new place.  It's a two room apartment in the north-east corner of the city, about a 15 minute walk to the closest metro.  It's located in a very nice area, with a park and beautiful Orthodox church just across the street, and lots of tre

New Year's Run

This year, Dan and I took part in our team's tradition of running the Garden Ring around Moscow's center the morning of the 1st.  It's one of the only times a year this run is possible - due to lessened air pollution, little traffic, and few pedestrians out on the streets.  It was entertaining to see so many Moscovites just concluding their New Year's Eve celebrations as we were just beginning our morning run - we were certainly a shock for many!  For those of you who'd like a closer look, here's a link to our run on mapmyrun.com:  http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=294126251184364644 Now, for your viewing pleasure, some footage from the run.  This was just as we popped out of the metro to begin.  It was still fairly dark - the sun wouldn't really rise until closer to our ending time, but we were excited none the less! Our team consisted of two parts, the half-ringers and the full-ringers.  The half-ringers, already in full stride, Liz and Lola, show thei